Thursday, May 13, 2010

Week 16 Discussion #2

Review the Observation of an Outside Group project. What did you find useful/not useful? Did you like this project? Why/why not? Why did you choose the group you observed for this project? In short, briefly introduce your project to the members of the class, and discuss its usefulness, frustrations, etc.... (I expect for most, that the answer to this question will be quite long - go ahead and make it as long as you'd like).
In this assignment, I observed an organization called Aiesic. Once every other week, they discuss about world issued and opportunities to intern in foreign countries. The reason I chose to analyze this group was because a friend highly recommended it. It did not hurt that he has been a member of the group for three years. I thought it would be interesting to hear other people offer their opinions on the current world news. The thing I found useful was learning about the Aiesic organizations throughout the world. There are many chapters in the California area as well. A group like this consists of diverse individuals which make it unique. The people from certain parts of the country have great knowledge on news from their hometown. When I listened in on one of the discussion, a member from Taiwan had strong opinions of the conflict between his place and China. I realized that a diverse group of people offer interesting insight based from their culture. It results in an engaging and enlightening discussion on important news stories. The best thing about it was how people split into small groups to talk about a particular topic. In the end, everyone would come together and each leader summarizes the main points of their discussion. I felt that the organization of the meeting was effective in a large group environment. The leaders allowed everyone the chance to contribute in the conversations. As a result, there were no frustrations from observing the small group. All members got along well since they have been together for the last few years.
I enjoyed this project since I got to understand more on how the small group process works. It was a great change of pace from participating in a group to just witnessing a weekly meeting. I was also able to learn some good fundamentals in order to have an effective group. Maybe in future group projects, I will implement the useful skills necessary for success.

1 comment:

  1. Ari Gold,

    Congrats on finishing this final project. I read over your reasons behind choosing this group and I believe that sometimes the best small groups that we become apart of is from the recommendation of a friend. I too chose my final project based upon a recommendation from my friend. I thought it was pretty cool that your small group talked about world issues. The fact that you can get a diversity in perspectives on world issues sounds very interesting to me. I am pretty suprised though that there wasn't any frustration when discussing world news. News topics always gets my blood boiling. I really enjoyed reading your work, and have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete